New Proposal for a Collaborative Project on Additive Manufacturing of Hardmetals by non-laser Processes: AddiHM
OCSYNERGIES, the Fraunhofer IKTS Dresden, the Katholieke Universiteit KU Leuven, TECNALIA Research & Innovation San Sebastian and the Technical University of Catalonia BarcelonaTech UPC will soon launch a new Collaborative Project on Additive Manufacturing of Hardmetals by non-laser Processes (AddiHM).
The aim of this project is to establish a comparison and benchmarking of three AM processes for the production of homogeneous WC-12Co hardmetal blanks. The AM processes that will be assessed are:
- Fused Filament Fabrication (IKTS),
- Metal Binder Jetting (Tecnalia)
- Direct Ink Writing (KU Leuven).
An evaluation of the final AM components will be also carried out (UPC). Amongst the scientific/technological questions to be answered are:
- How do these AM technologies differ from each other for near-net-shape manufacturing?
- Is it possible to realise fully dense WC-12Co parts by means of AM, with similar properties as their conventionally processed equivalents?
- How do the 3 AM technologies perform with respect to their material processing rate?
- Is there any substantial difference in the consolidation and sintering of AM and conventionally processed WC-Co?
The AddiHM project will be carried out in memory of Dr Leo Prakash. Dr Leo Prakash supported the idea of a European Project on Additive Manufacturing of Hardmetals and participated in several discussions with the contractors and the coordinator of the AddiHM project