Principle Investigator in Additive Manufacturing
Advanced Manufacturing Ireland (Dublin) is looking for Principle Investigator in Additive Manufacturing.
Advanced Manufacturing Ireland is the collective family brand for Applied, Industry-Focused Manufacturing Research including ICMR (Irish Centre for Manufacturing Research), i2e2 (Innovation for Ireland's Energy Efficiency) and Irish Manufacturing Research Ltd.
Advanced Manufacturing Ireland is seeking a Principle Investigator who will be responsible for building and developing the organisation’s capability and research capacity to meet the growing needs of the centre and its industrial research partners in the area of additive manufacturing and 3D printing.
The successful candidate must have demonstrated significant experience in developing additive manufacturing solutions, in particular 3D printing solutions, for Industrial applications.
He/she will have the ability to apply technical knowledge to new environments and communicate this clearly to a diverse network with which he/she may not have been previously familiar.
Purpose of the Job:
The objective of the Centre, which is funded by Enterprise Ireland and the IDA Ireland, is to undertake industry-focused applied research for the benefit of, and with direct relevance to, the Irish manufacturing industry.
The aim of this position is to lead the development of capability and research teams in additive manufacturing and 3D printing.
- Build strong vibrant research team in additive manufacturing.
- Deliver excellence in the science of additive manufacturing
- Provide technical leadership in the design of AM solutions architectures
- Build the process capability for additive to meet the needs of industry in the future
- Analysing business requirements and identifying technical solution options
- Provide mentoring for junior engineers
- Develop and manage project plans and coordinate stakeholder involvement
- Prepare and present project updates and output for dissemination
- Analyse business requirements to assess their feasibility, proposing technical solution options and describing system impacts.
- Performing high-level analysis and design based on requirements.
- Building prototypes to prove design approach
- Where necessary guide the team on new technology decisions.
Additional skills and attributes will include:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and be comfortable in any environment, from factory floor to board room.
- Excellence in CAD design for additive or advanced manufacturing
- Excellence in leadership
- Excellence in project planning and roadmap development
- Excellence in writing, editing, communication and presentation skills.
- Be creative and have the ability to work on your own initiative
- Be enthusiastic in the role.
The successful candidate will be a highly-motivated self-starter, requiring little direction, able to thrive in a start-up environment and enjoy the challenge of building a business from scratch. They should also be highly customer-orientated, adaptable and efficient, and not afraid take a hands-on approach. He/she will be results-orientated and go the extra mile to get the job done.
Desired Skills and Experience
- At least 10 years' experience working in an advanced manufacturing or applied-research environment with significant additive research experience.
- Expert knowledge of 3D printing technologies for plastics and metals
- Expert knowledge of materials and material capabilities in 3D printing
- Demonstrable knowledge of metrology solutions and techniques for 3D printing
- Demonstrable experience in developing and delivering R&D projects for Industry (particularly in areas relevant to additive manufacturing)
- Experience in design processes and tools for additive manufacturing.
- MSc in relevant engineering or scientific area
- Demonstrable team leadership experience
- PhD in relevant engineering or scientific area
- Demonstrable experience in winning R&D funding internally or externally.
- Publications in relevant subject areas
About Advanced Manufacturing Ireland:
Advanced Manufacturing Ireland is the collective family brand for Applied, Industry-Focused Manufacturing Research including ICMR (Irish Centre for Manufacturing Research), i2e2 (Innovation for Ireland's Energy Efficiency) and Irish Manufacturing Research Ltd..
IMR (Irish Manufacturing Research Ltd.) is an independent Manufacturing and Industrial Energy Efficiency Research Organisation focused on delivering solutions to manufacturing. Our passion is to make Ireland a world leader in advanced manufacturing operations for both SME and indigenous export companies and for multinational corporations based throughout the island. In so doing, we want to ensure the continued competitiveness of Ireland’s manufacturing industry and its ability to grow (in terms of turnover, profitability and employment) through winning new business and investment.
We are a cross-sector Research Organisation with current partner companies in Semiconductors, ICT, Pharmaceuticals, Medical Devices, Food, Energy Services, Aerospace and other sectors. Active relationships are also in place with most of the Universities in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, a number of Institutes of Technology as well as a number of well-reputed overseas universities. In bringing this cross-sector industrial and academic interaction around one table, we establish best in class knowledge and behaviours as the starting point for future research.
As an independent not-for-profit Research Organisation, we work closely with Academic, Government and Industry partners and we value people who understand the whole R&D ecosystem, including EU research programmes. We especially value people who understand the complexities of developing, piloting and integrating novel, world class technologies into ambitious, growing and successful manufacturing enterprises.
If you have a passion for technology and research and would like to contribute to our ambition, then Advanced Manufacturing Ireland is the place for you.
The post will be based near Dublin and will be required to travel to various research and industrial partner sites across Ireland and Europe.
Salary & Benefits
This position will command a package consisting of basic salary (depending on experience), employer pension contribution and 5 weeks holidays.