AM HORIZON EUROPE TOPICS: zero emissions from transport infrastructure
Smart and efficient ways to construct, maintain and decommission with zero emissions from transport infrastructure
TOPIC ID: HORIZON-CL5-2022-D6-02-06 To be opened: 28th April 2022 Deadline: 6th september 2022
More info: Funding & tenders (europa.eu)
Expected Outcome: Project results are expected to contribute to the following expected outcomes:
- A holistic approach to lowering transport infrastructure environmental impact, which takes into account the whole life cycle of transport infrastructure; carbon-neutral construction, maintenance, operation and decommissioning of the infrastructure
- Implementation of circular economy principles (for example, by fostering new solutions and systems that are easy to maintain, repair, update, adapt and replace and by maximising the re-use/recycle of infrastructure components) to reduce emissions and the environmental impact; 100% reutilisation of construction materials within or across transport modes.
- Performance-based design models and manufacturing techniques (e.g. additive and subtractive manufacturing) with the objective to substantially reduce materials consumption in construction and maintenance activities.
- Enhanced modular construction, maintenance and decommissioning interventions able to reduce life cycle cost (LCC) by at least 30%.
- Optimisation of energy use and increased share of renewable energy for infrastructure management operations as a way leading to achieving energy neutrality
- Novel governance, public procurement and data utilization models to decrease the emissions and carbon footprint of the whole life cycle of transport infrastructure by 20%
Scope: The overall objective of the topic is to support the development of sustainable transport infrastructure, addressing its environmental and economic efficiency dimensions.Research should provide knowledge and technical solutions to limit transport emissions, both caused by transport infrastructure and to which transport infrastructure contributes, as the infrastructure related emissions are often unaccounted for. This in due to the long time between construction and decommissioning. Projects should cover the whole life cycle of transport infrastructure to which extent transport infrastructure design can influence and limit the overall emissions from construction, maintenance, operation and decommissioning of the infrastructure.